• This is the first meeting between these teams at the World Championship.
• Cuba have won 12 of their 15 meetings with China in major competitions.
• Their most recent encounter in a major competition came in this year's World League and Cuba took the contest in five sets.
• Cuba are coming off a 3-0 victory against Bulgaria. It ended a string of 11 matches in this competition in which Cuba had not won in straight sets.
• Cuba have been eliminated from third round contention, having finished runners-up at the 2010 World Championship.
• Cuba cannot finish higher than fifth in Pool F.
• China’s victory over Finland ended a string of five defeats in straight sets for this team.
• China can no longer reach the third round and their only chance of escaping from last place in Pool F involves a victory over Cuba.
• China will improve on their 2010 finish regardless. Four years ago, they came 19th.