• This will be the seventh World Championship match between Cuba and Bulgaria. Cuba have won four matches, Bulgaria two.
• Since the start of the century, Cuba have won 11 of their 19 matches against Bulgaria in major competitions, including their last two matches; in the third round of the 2010 World Championship and the bronze medal match in the 2012 World League.
• Both these last two encounters were decided in the fifth set.Cuba
• Cuba have lost their last three matches and can no longer progress to the third round.
• Cuba have won two matches at this World Championship so far. Only in 2002 did they win fewer (1). In 1956 they also won just two.
• Cuba are one shy of winning their 250th set at the World Championships. They can become the eighth team to reach this mark.Bulgaria
• As well as opponents Cuba, Bulgaria are unable to qualify for the third round.
• They have lost their last three matches and can lose four in a row for the first time since 2002.
• Bulgaria have lost 230 sets and can go outright second on the list of teams with most sets lost at the World Championships. They are currently tied with Japan on 230. Only France have lost more sets, 247.