Egypt have lost their last eight matches at the world championship, already their worst run.
• This will be the first match between both teams at the world championship.
• They have met once at a major tournament, at the 1977 World Cup. Mexico won in straight sets.
• Egypt have won two of their seven matches against NORCECA teams at the WCh.
• Mexico have won both meetings with African sides at the world championship. Tunisia were defeated 3-0 in 1974 and 3-2 in 1982.
• Egypt have lost their last eight matches at the world championship, already their worst run.
• They have lost nine of their 12 matches that were decided in the fifth set.
• The last time they had to play two five-set matches in a row was in 2006.
• Mexico can lose seven matches in a row for the first time since their record run of nine defeats in 1978-1982.
• Four of their last six defeats came by a 3-0 scoreline.
• Their last win was a 3-0 victory against Venezuela in 2010.
• Mexico's last six wins in world championship matches were either by a 3-0 score or a 3-2 score, both on three occasions.
• Their last win by a 3-1 score came against Venezuela in 1978.