• These teams have met four times at the World Championship, with both teams winning twice.
• Germany (as East Germany) won their first encounter which was followed by two victories from Canada over East Germany.
• Their last world championship meeting, four years ago, ended in a 3-0 victory for (unified) Germany.
• These teams also met in four different encounters in the 1992 World League. Canada won all four.
• Germany can secure their best ever finish as unified Germany. As such, they have never finished higher than eighth.
• To reach the third round and at least a sixth place finish, Germany must avoid a 3-0 or 3-1 defeat against Canada.
• Germany lost their opening match of this tournament, then won six in a row and are now coming off a defeat against Russia.
• Canada started this tournament with a defeat before reeling off six straight victories. That winning streak was halted by Brazil in straight sets.
• Canada’s best finish in the competition is ninth place in 1994.
• Canada must beat Germany by 3-0 or 3-1 in their final Pool F match to reach the third round.