Puerto Rico go for second victory at the FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship
• Iran and Puerto Rico will meet for the first time at the world championship and at a major tournament.
• Iran clinched their first win against a NORCECA side at the world championship when they beat USA 3-2 on 2 September. They had lost their previous three matches.
• Puerto Rico have won one of their five world championship matches against Asian teams, against China in 2006.
• Iran can win three matches in a row at the world championship for the second time, after three in 1970.
• The 1970 edition was also the only previous championship in which Iran managed to win four matches. They can collect their fourth win of the 2014 edition by beating Puerto Rico.
• Iran have won only two of their 26 matches in straight sets. The last time was against Venezuela in 1970.
• Puerto Rico ended their six-match losing streak with a win against Italy and they can now win two matches in a row for the first time since 2010, right before that six-match losing run began.
• The two wins in 2010 is also the only time Puerto Rico won two matches at a single WCh.
• Puerto Rico's win vs Italy was also the first time Puerto Rico won a set at these championship. Their previous set win came in a 3-1 defeat against Italy in 2010.