• This will be the first World Championship meeting between Russia and Mexico.
• Russia (as Soviet Union) won their three meetings with Mexico at major tournaments. They won in straight sets at the 1977 and 1991 World Cup and needed four sets at the 1968 Olympic Games.
• Russia have lost only two of their 20 World Championship matches against North American sides. In 1986, Soviet Union were defeated by United States in the final and in 1990 Soviet Union fell short against Cuba in the semifinal.Russia
• Russia have won each of their last five World Championship matches, of which the last three in straight sets. They can record four consecutive straight set victories for the first time since six in 2006.
• Their last match against Egypt was their 50th match while competing as Russia. They have also played 114 matches while competing as Soviet Union.
• No player has scored more than 20 points for Russia in a match so far. Against Canada Dmitriy Muserskiy was the team's top scorer with 18 points, while against Egypt Dmitriy Ilinykh amassed a total of 13 points.Mexico
• Mexico are on a four-match losing streak, their second-longest at the World Championship after a team record streak of nine from1978-1982.
• They can lose their first three matches at a World Championship for the first time in team history.
• Mexico's last win against a team from Europe came 32 years ago, as they beat Finland 3-2 on 10 October 1982.