• Germany (as East Germany) played only one World Championship match against Tunisia. In 1970 Germany defeated Tunisia in straight sets.
• Their most recent meeting at a major tournament came at the 2012 Olympic Games in London. Germany defeated Tunisia in the group phase in straight sets.
• Tunisia's only win at a major tournament was in 1958. At the 1958 European Championship Tunisia beat East Germany in straight sets.
• Germany's last six World Championship matches finished 3-0. They won two of these matches and lost four.
• Germany can win two of their first three matches for the first time since 2006, when they won the first four matches of their World Championship campaign.
• Germany's only other World Championship match against an African side was a 3-0 victory against Guinea in 1970 (as East Germany).
• Tunisia have lost their last five World Championship matches and can lose six in a row for the first time since 1974-1982, when they recorded 19 consecutive defeats.
• Their last win was against Puerto Rico in the second group stage in 2006.
• Tunisia are yet to win a match against a European side at the World Championships (22 matches).