• The only previous World Championship meeting between these teams came back in 1978.
• Canada have won their last four World Championship meetings with African teams.
• Their last meeting in a major tournament was in the 2003 World Cup, when Canada beat Egypt 3-0.
• Canada won their last match against Bulgaria (3-2) and can record back-to-back victories at the World Championship for the first time since 2006 (vs Kazakhstan and Korea).
• That 3-2 win against Bulgaria was only their first victory in a five-setter since a 3-2 win against Argentina in 2006, and only their third since the start of this century.
• Canada currently have a winning percentage at the World Championship of 37% (26 wins, 44 losses). Of all teams with at least 10 appearances, only Venezuela have a worse winning record (24%).
• Egypt can equal their record losing streak at the World Championship. They are currently on six consecutive defeats. From 1998-2006, they lost seven matches in a row.
• They can lose back-to-back matches in straight sets for the first time since 2002 (vs Venezuela and Brazil).
• In their last six World Championship matches, they managed to win only four sets.