· Finland have met opposition from Germany in two previous world championship matches. In the consolation round in 1962, they lost 3-0 to East Germany.
· In the consolation phase in 1966, Finland beat West Germany 3-2.
· They have also run into each other in several matches at the European Championship, most recently in 1993, when Germany won 3-2.
· Finland lost against Brazil after a five-match win streak. They can now lose two matches in a row for the first time since 1982.
· They can lose by a 3-0 scoreline two times in a row for the first time since a run of four defeats in 1966.
· Germany can win three matches in a row at the world championship for the first time since 2006, when they won the first four matches of their campaign.
· They have not played a five sets match in their last 10 encounters at the world championship. They had a run of 11 matches without any five-setter in1994-2006.
· Germany have gifted 77 points from errors to their opponents in their three matches so far.