Hosts Poland take on Russia at the Atlas Arena in Lodz
Lodz, Poland, September 18, 2014 - Hosts Poland and Russia meet in the
last match in Round 3 Pool H, with both teams needing points to secure a
place in the semifinals.
• Poland and Russia have met each other 12 times at the world championship (including Soviet Union). Poland have won four matches, Russia eight.
• Their last meeting was at the 2006 World Championship with Poland winning 3-2 in the second group stage.
• Russia have won twice by 3-0, in 1986 and 1949.
• Russia also won 3-0 in the quarterfinals of the 2012 Olympic Games and eventually won the gold medal. That was the last time these teams met in a major tournament.Poland
• Poland have reached the world championship semifinals once before. In 2006, they defeated Bulgaria 3-1 and eventually lost the final 3-0 against Brazil.
• Poland can become the first ever team to win four successive world championship matches in five sets.
• They can become the second team to play four consecutive five-set matches. In 1966, Japan played four five-set matches in a row, winning two and losing two.
• Poland have lost 199 sets in world championship history.Russia
• Russia can lose back-to-back matches for the first time since 2010, before their 11-match-winning streak started.
• They can lose two matches in a row in straight sets for the very first time at the world championships.
• They have won their last four world championship matches against European opponents.