• These teams have met on six previous occasions at the World Championship. USA have won five of the previous six, including their most recent meeting in the competition. In the first round in 2010, the US prevailed 3-1.
• Argentina's only victory over United States in this competition dates back to 1990, when the South Americans won 3-0 in the group stage.
• USA have won 14 of their 17 encounters with Argentina in major competitions.
• Argentina cannot finish higher than fifth in Pool E.
• At best, they can match their finish from 2010, which was ninth place.
• Their victory over Italy on Saturday ended a three match losing streak.
• United States will be certain of a third round berth with a victory by 3-0 or 3-1.
• United States are in search of their second world championship title. They won it all in 1986.
• USA have won their last four matches in this tournament.